Friday, 29 February 2008

Dave Clark Five

When I was about 20 I was living in London trying to make a living as a musician. Being a drummer I would frequent Drum City, which was the first music shop solely for drummers and set up by the legendary Musical Instrument Industry giant, Ivor Arbiter. During my visits I would regularly bump into other drummers one of which was Dave Clark. At about that time Dave told me they had just landed a residency at the Tottenham Lorcarno (I think). it was not that long after that, that they had their first hit. The rest, as they say, is history.

How sad that I have just heard, that keyboard player and the voice on all those hit records, Mike Smith has just passed away. I know that he had had a fall in Spain which had left him paralysed, and he spent a great deal of time in Stoke Manderville Hospital. But apparently, he died of Pneumonia in the USA. So sad, and our thoughts and prayers go to his wife and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment