Sunday, 10 February 2008

The 2'i's COFFEE BAR, LONDON


It has been a year already since the 50th anniversary of the 2'i's Coffee Bar was held at the 100 Club in Oxford Street London.

The 2'i's was one of the first, if not THE first coffee bar in the UK where live music could be heard. Although I was a pro musician in 1960 in London, I regret I never had the chance to actually play there. However, I was a fairly regular visitor and, learn much from just being amongst the hot and sweaty crowd listening to the likes of, Vince Taylor and have some special memories of his drummer at that time, Bobby Woodman. Drums were my instrument and I had been taught the instrument in the classical way, i.e via a professional teacher (Geoff Myers) and learnt to read music, and loved Jazz and Big Band. Imagine my feelings the first time I heard this raw wild drummer with two bass drums playing Eddie Cochran's "C'mon Everybody". Bobby may not have been the greatest technician in the world at that time, but I had never heard anyone play drums like that before!

In later years I got to play with a number of the solo acts from that era including; Johnnie Gentle, Dickie Pride, Lance Fortune and Keith Kelly to name but a few.

At the 2007 Anniversary I was fortunate to meet up again with, Chas MacDevitte, who I had briefly played with in 1964 and Norman Sheffield who used to own Trident Studios in London's Soho. The photo shows, me on the left, Chas facing the camera and Norman on the right.

No comments:

Post a Comment